We are now one quarter through the year, so it is time for me to revisit my goals that I made at the beginning of the year. Or just plain visit them! Let’s see where I am at…
1. Do 75 shows this year. This means 75 performances, and this could be a variety of different things, ranging from plays to open mikes. As of April 1, I have done 16 performances. This includes my well-received run of “The Last Straight Man In Theatre” at the Rogue Festival in Fresno, CA. Right now I have performances lined up in the Ottawa Fringe, the Minnesota Fringe, and the Indianapolis Fringe.
The big news is that I will be doing a 10 week run of the show at Flushnik Gallery in Brooklyn in the Fall. Since setting that up, I have found myself waking up in the morning and asking, “Will I be able to get audience for 10 weeks?” Then I answer, “Yes.” There is no rhyme or reason for my answer, but (a) I am having this conversation with myself, and (b) I seem to be convincing.
2. Go to the gym 200 times this year. Meaning once a day for 200 days throughout 2010. As of April 1, I have gone for 44 days. I almost on schedule! I started doing free weights this year, and my arms are just a little bit bigger. Still, I love sweeties. Ivy Bakery beckons…
3. Book goal – I chose the book Gabe Hakvaag loaned me, “Personal Days,” and “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.” So far I have read neither. I’ve been reading other books, though.
4. Writing goal #1 – I have a story that has been in my head for years. This year I plan to write it in some form. Currently it is still in my head.
5. Writing goal #2 – Adapt “The Last Straight Man In Theatre” script into a TV pilot script. No, I haven’t done this yet. It would be a good idea to have this done by the fall, so if someone such as an agent or whatever comes to see me in New York and wants to see what I have to offer as a writer, I can whip this out.
6. Fan goal – In 2010 I will put up at least 3 new videos for everyone to enjoy. I have done 1 – that “Happy Valentine’s Day!” video. It was a quickie one-joke thing, and it was okay. I have a cool idea for a song/music video that I would like to do.
7. Procrastination vs. Goal goal – I have procrastinated heavily on getting my show “Hooray for Speech Therapy” booked at colleges. I made a goal to counter that. I will make at least 100 calls to colleges or booking agents to get this show playing at schools.
Okay, well, this has been a tough one in the past, as I have felt like I don’t know how to approach this. What I am doing now (as of this week) is making a few calls a day, following up, and learning as I go. So as of April 1, I have made 4 calls. There is daily progress as of this week, plus I have acquired a “goal buddy.” Man, that sounds corny.
So that’s where I’m at, everyone. I am glad to see that my goal setting inspired some people. I was referenced in Tom X. Chao’s podcast on New Year’s resolutions (although I don’t consider my goals “resolutions”) and I saw a Facebook friend of mine do a posting of goals that was very close in format to mine. Who knows? I’m feeling the inspiration.