t’s July 1, and we are halfway through 2010. I’m still working through my goals for the year. Let’s see how I’m doing.
1. Do 75 shows this year. This means 75 performances, and this could be a variety of different things, ranging from plays to open mikes. As of July 1, I have done 31 performances. I have a bunch of shows booked as well – festivals in Kansas City, Minnesota, and Indianapolis. And I have a ten week run of “The Last Straight Man In Theatre” starting Sept. 11 in NYC.
2. Go to the gym 200 times this year. Meaning once a day for 200 days throughout 2010. As of July 1, I have gone 98 times, thus I am almost exactly on schedule. The one thing I would like to add is more structure to my workout. What I do is a lot of cardio and free weights, crunches, that kind of thing. What are the results I’ve noticed? Well, I’m leaner. I noticed a real difference when I saw a Sunday Night Improv video that I was in in May. Also – and this is something I noticed last year when I was also working out more regularly – when doing a run of a show, I don’t strain my voice like I used to. I used to go into a run of a show, and my voice wouldn’t be used to all that use, and it would strain. Now that I’m in better shape, my voice holds up very well. That alone is a good reason to work out.
3. Book goal – I chose the book Gabe Hakvaag loaned me, “Personal Days,” and “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.” This is the only goal so far I have achieved. I actually didn’t care for either book.
4. Writing goal #1 – I have a story that has been in my head for years. This year I plan to write it in some form. My writing goals are where I have been dragging my feet. I think what I am going to do is write it as a short story (which will be a new experience), and then just see what the market is for that. It would be a good start for this story I have, and it would achieve this goal.
5. Writing goal #2 – Adapt “The Last Straight Man In Theatre” script into a TV pilot script. Haven’t even begun this one.
6. Fan goal – In 2010 I will put up at least 3 new videos for everyone to enjoy. I have done 1 – that “Happy Valentine’s Day!” video. That’s probably not me in my finest hour, but I shouldn’t judge. More on the way.
7. Procrastination vs. Goal goal – I have procrastinated heavily on getting my show “Hooray for Speech Therapy” booked at colleges. I made a goal to counter that. I will make at least 100 calls to colleges or booking agents to get this show playing at schools.
This goal I made a lot of progress with. I had gotten a day job for about two months, which gave me more structure. I would have a half hour lunch, in which I would spend 15 minutes eating and 15 minutes making two calls and a follow-up or two – every day during the week. When the job assignment ended, I had called 62 schools, and booked two of them! I have not gotten specific performance dates yet, but they say I’m booked to perform. Right now schools are not in session, but once we get to late August I will start calling and following up again.
2010 has been good so far. Let’s see what the rest of the year brings…